Subject: Design Technology
Key Stage 3 Overview
Design and Technology is an inspiring and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
- During Year 7, students will experience a range of design possibilities, and will gain a range of experiences work in the workshops with specialist teaching staff in well-equipped and dedicated workshop areas
- Students are encouraged to express their creativity through a series of structured tasks and projects that leave scope for an increasingly high level of individuality
- There are also a variety of enrichment courses on offer
- Within year 8 there is a strong emphasis is placed on producing products of high quality in design and manufacture. Students are encouraged to observe and analyse examples of good design in their everyday life and to appreciate their life enhancing qualities. Progress and continuity are monitored through target setting and level indicators.
- Through a variety of creative and practical activities, pupils will be taught the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making
The faculty has access to ICT equipment which supports and enhances student work and students also have access to the use of a 3D printer that enables them to design outcomes in a different way.