Teaching & Learning
All teachers at Thornleigh Salesian College continue their professional development in a well-structured programme; Workshop Wednesday’s. This programme operates every Wednesday, 15:20pm - 16:30pm.
Each workshop is encapsulated by our Catholic Salesian ethos and sets out to improve student inclusion and achievement. They are focussed on one of our core pillars;
- Assessment, Marking, Feedback and Therapy
- Teaching Techniques
- Climate for Learning
The programme also includes department development time, during which subject leaders design subject specific professional development opportunities.
This year, the professional development priorities for the school are:
- Planning curriculum so that students can master essential subject knowledge
- Sharing clear learning goals and organising retrieval practice
- Disciplinary reading
- Independent practice
- Developing trauma informed practice
We also invest in developing leadership capacity at all levels across the school. We are delighted that a number of staff are involved in additional CPD through:
- National Professional Qualifications
- North West Catholic Diocese Training Partnership - Catholic Leadership Programmes
- Specialist Leaders of Education
- Bolton Learning Partnership - Developing Excellence in Middle Leadership
Early Career Teachers and trainees also benefit from a bespoke CPD programme that operates after school on Tuesday’s.