Key Stage 4 Overview
Year 9 marks the beginning of the three year GCSE Mathematics course which is taught through the Edexcel specification. Throughout the course, students are challenged and supported to deepen their understanding of a wide range of Mathematical skills. Mathematics is diverse, engaging and essential in equipping students with the right skills to reach their future destination, whatever that may be. Students are encouraged to build a secure framework of Mathematical reasoning, which they can use and apply with confidence.
- Number – Standard form, Indices, Factors, Multiples, Primes. Product rule for counting.
- Shape – Pythagoras, Trigonometry, Isometric drawings,, Transformations, Loci and Constructions, Bearings.
- Algebra – Inequalities, Simultaneous equations, Straight line graphs, formulae.
- Data – Scatter Diagrams, Cumulative frequency, Box plots, Tree diagrams
- Ratio and Proportion – Incorporating problems involving fractions, decimals and percentages with ratio
- Number – Surds, Bounds
- Shape – Transformations, Similarity, Circle theorems
- Algebra – Quadratic skills, Quadratic graphs, Shading regions, Equations of straight lines.
- Data – Averages and sampling, Collecting, organising and representing data, Probability with Venn diagrams, Histograms.
- Ratio and Proportion – Direct and inverse proportion (algebraic), Scale factors and scale diagrams, Capture-recapture method
- Number – Kinematics, Recurring decimals
- Shape – Further trigonometry, Coordinate geometry, Vectors
- Algebra – Functions, Quadratic sequences, Transformation of graphs
- Data – Interpeting grouped discrete and continuous data
- Ratio and Proportion – Population growth and decay.