Year 12 and 13 English Language
Our prime concerns across the two years will be language diversity and change but the programme of study includes:
- An introduction to language study which enables our students to analyse and evaluate any text in a strategic and systematic way.
- An exploration of the varieties and diversity of language in use – through regional and national variation, gender differences, social mobilisation and diversity and the status of English as a global language, to name but a few.
- An understanding of how children develop and the ways they learn to speak, read and write.
- A greater understanding of how ‘English’ became ‘English’ and the influences from abroad that makes this such a ‘magpie’ language.
- An appreciation of how English has changed over time, recognising the impact of attempts to standardise English in the 18th century as well as the way technology, politics and conflict can make the very concept of ‘English’ unstable.
- A review of current attitudes to our language- good and bad- employing prescriptive and descriptive contemporary debates.