From the very start of your time at Thornleigh Sixth Form we will help you to aspire to your chosen next-step. We encourage two major routes of University and Higher Apprenticeships. However, we also acknowledge that some students would like to start employment routes after their time with us.
In Year 12 you will experience various input sessions from local and national Higher Education providers, Apprenticeship opportunities and access to our HE planning tool, Unifrog. During this academic year we will expect that you have worked with your group tutor and subject teachers to:
- Select a relevant destination and have a back-up plan
- Research the destinations you have chosen using Unifrog
- Build a record of your competencies that make you appropriate for chosen routes
- Attend the UCAS fair at Edge Hill
- Attend at least one other open day at a chosen destination
- Create a Curriculum Vitae (regardless of your chosen route)
- Have an understanding of how to start the student finance process
- Encourage parents to attend the Higher Education Event in June
- Take an active role in the Higher Education Week
- Select and organise appropriate work experience placements for July
- Complete your Personal Statement to a standard where it will only need minor amendments at the start of Year 13
- Complete the UCAS application form (when available and with guidance)
*Please not that we expect all students to complete a University personal Statement whether they intend to progress to Higher Education or not. In the same way we expect all students to maintain a live CV. Every year students change their minds and so the process of application will not only give us a route to pick up but it will also help to enhance the future application skills of students who fully engage.