Level 3 BTEC National Extended Certificate in Performing Arts: Dance Pathway
The Extended Certificate in Performing Arts: Dance Pathway is a popular subject for those students wanting to further their study into learning about the performing arts sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in performing arts.
The course is made up of four units that are completed at intervals throughout Year 12 and Year 13.
1: Investigating Practitioners Work
2: Developing Skills and Techniques for Live Performance
3: Group Performance Workshop
4: Contemporary Dance Technique
Year 12 covers:
Unit 1: Investigating Practitioners Work
This is an external written exam; windows of assessment are in January & May.
- Investigating the work of dance practitioners
- Developing critical analysis skills
- Developing contextual understanding of how practitioners communicate themes in their work
Unit 2: Developing Skills and Techniques for Liver Performance
- Exploring technical performance skills
- Developing skills and techniques in at least two performance styles.
- Live assessment in our annual dance show ‘Thornleigh’s Got to Dance’
Year 13 covers:
Unit 3: Group Performance Workshop
- Understanding how to interpret and respond to a stimulus for a group performance
- Applying personal management
- Applying skills to communicate creative intentions
- Reviewing and reflecting on the process used to create the work
Unit 4: Contemporary Dance Technique
- Understanding the development of contemporary dance
- Developing skills and techniques of contemporary dance
- Applying skills and techniques to a live performance
- Reviewing personal development