The Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 Tech Award in Performing Arts, Dance is a popular subject that gives learners the opportunity to develop sector-specific knowledge and skills in a practical learning environment.
The main focus is on four areas of equal importance, which cover:
- Development of key skills that prove your aptitude in performing arts, such as reproducing repertoire or responding to stimuli.
- Process that underpins effective ways of working in the performing arts, such as development of ideas, rehearsal and performance.
- Attitudes that are considered most important in the performing arts, including personal management and communication.
- Knowledge that underpins effective use of skills, process and attitudes in the sector, such as roles, responsibilities, performance disciplines and styles.
The course is made up of three components;
Component 1: Exploring the Performing Arts, Component
Component 2: Developing Skills and Techniques for Live Performance & Component
Component 3: Responding to a Brief.
Year 10 covers:
Component 1: Exploring the Performing Arts
- Examining practitioners’ work and the processes used to create performance
- Exploring the relationships between vital features of existing performance material and the process used to create the work
- Developing understanding of the responsibilities and skills that contribute to creative intentions and purpose of the work.
- Research projects to create portfolio of coursework
- Practical workshops investigating creative intentions and the processes used to create the work
Component 2: Developing Skills and Techniques for Live Performance
- Developing skills and techniques for performance through practical workshops
- Applying skills and techniques in rehearsal and performance
- Live performance in our annual dance show ‘Thornleigh’s Got to Dance’
- Reviewing own development and performance through written milestone evaluations.
Year 11 Covers:
Component 3: Responding to a Brief
- Understanding how to respond to a brief
- Working as a group to create your own choreography in response to a brief
- Selecting and developing skills and techniques in response to a brief
- Applying skills and techniques in a workshop performance in response to a brief
- Evaluating the development process and outcome in response to a brief